Thursday, July 20, 2006

Onward and downward

Well, the Astros are now 4 games under .500, and 8 games back of the Cardinals (not 8.5, because the Cards were off today--thank heavens for small favors). The Cubs, losers of 14 of their last 17 home games, took 2 of 3 from the 'Stros, with Andy Pettitte taking the loss today. I didn't get to watch the game, as I was working, but looking at recaps, sounds like Andy wasn't particularly strong today. Damned old Zambrano continues to own the Astros, though.

So now it's on to New York, to face the best team in the National League. I continue with my prediction of a sweep at the hands of the Mets, but I do hope the Astros at least make it interesting--they do tend to play up (or down) to the caliber of their opponent, quite often.

A friend called last night, and we briefly touched on the subject of the 'Stros. He no longer really follows the team, and reiterated to me something he has said ever since he discovered that I was a fan--"They'll break your heart, you might as well give up or get used to it."

I dunno. I was actually kind of offended by that. Obviously, this season has been very disappointing, and I do not anticipate that the team will turn things around in time to make the post-season. But I certainly plan to make as many games as possible for the remainder of the year. And a poor showing by the team this season should decrease ticket demand enough for me get a seat upgrade next year, as I already mentioned. And, finally and most importantly, how much sweeter will the winning be, when it finally happens?

Maybe I'm not as much of a fair-weather fan as I worried that I might be.

[A post-script: let's hope Alyson Footer is an employee of MLB.com and not the Houston Astros, as this type of article {UPDATE--article has been changed since original posting} surely won't win her any points in the front office--as Alan Ashby found out, it is possible to be TOO honest around the Astros' management, unfortunately. A quote:

The outlook for the Houston Astros worsened on Thursday when they dropped a 4-1 decision to the Chicago Cubs -- those same Chicago Cubs who are in fifth place in the division and own the worst home record in baseball. Now the Astros are off to New York, where they will meet the Mets, a team far superior than the Cubs, as evidenced by their 57-38 record that has made a mockery of the word "race" in the NL East. If the Astros play this poorly this weekend at Shea Stadium, they have no chance to beat a team that is better than them in every area -- pitching, speed and defense. And winning.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home